Sunday, February 5, 2012

Whole Wheat Crepes


In honor of World Nutella Day, I have decided to make some crepes. Now I know Nutella may not be the healthiest options, but sometimes we can indulge. Of course, I couldn't let a day like this pass without celebration. When my brother and I were kids, this was one of our favorite desserts. We never actually ate crepes at restaurants, because they are way too expensive for what they actually are. Besides, my Mama is a pretty darn good cook. About a year ago, while I spread the word of Nutella around my friends, my friend Daniella got a bit hooked with Nutella and making crepes. To make it a bit healthier, she thought of making the crepes whole wheat. She was kind enough to pass the knowledge on, and I have never looked back.

Whole wheat can offer various health benefits. It contains many different vitamins and minerals. Health benefits range from protection against cardiovascular disease and diabetes, and cancer prevention. It contains a lot of fiber which can protect us against colon cancer and helps us with our digestive system. Once you get used to eating whole wheat instead of the white "stuff", you will never miss the other "stuff." I call it "stuff," because this flour was stripped of all the benefits previously mentioned. So really do yourself a favor and start eating the good grainy whole wheat flour.

Here is my version of whole wheat crepes. I actually don't add a lot of sugar to the batter, because Nutella brings in enough sweetness.You can always eat the crepe with ice-cream or make it even healthier with some vanilla yogurt, fruits, and nuts. Me, I like it the way my Mama made it, well a tad bit healthier. Just Nutella and some fruits on the side.



Whole Wheat Crepes

Serves 7

1 egg
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 pinch salt
1.25 cups milk
0.5 cups water
1 tablespoon safflower oil (or olive oil)
1.5 cups whole wheat flour
A few more drops of oil for the pan

1. Add the egg, brown sugar, and salt in a large bowl and whisk together.
2. Add the milk, water, and oil and whisk again.
3. Add the flour and mix it. Make sure that this is runnier than pancake mix. Because this is whole wheat flour, you want it to be a bit more runny so it can spread in the pan.
4. Heat a few drops of oil over medium high heat in a skillet. Pour about 1/4 cup of batter onto the pan. Tilt the pan with a circular motion to ensure the batter coats the surface evenly and fully. You may have to increase the amount of batter poured due to your pan size.
5. Cook for about 2 minutes and then flip and cook on the other side. You want the crepe to be slightly brown. Repeat for the rest of the batter.
7. Add your favorite ingredients onto the crepe and either roll or fold it twice in half.

Crepes are a great dessert that you can always change up. Usually they are best eaten warm, but some people like them cold. My Mama likes them when they are cold and "bruised" as she likes to call it. I hope you enjoy eating this healthier version. Njam, Njam, Njam!

2 comments:

  1. aida!!! those look good, maybe I'll try them when im done with my 30 day raw food detox. Oh, and your blog is awesome! I'm going to live vicariously through your food :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK. For your detox I will plan something special. Great idea has come to me :D
    Thanks for checking out the blog...let me know if you have any pointers :)

    ReplyDelete